Breast Cancer Awareness Month is marked in October, and is an important time for people on their cancer journey, those that have overcome cancer and people that would like to find out more on how they can reduce risks.
The month highlights the importance of performing self-checkups and well as getting tested as breast cancer is one of the most prevalent types of cancer.
With early detection, breast cancer is treatable, and the month is dedicated to emphasising getting checked.
To show support for breast cancer, here are some activations taking place around the UAE.
As part of Friends of Cancer Patients, the Pink Caravan mobile minivan clinics go around the UAE during October to provide free mammograms for women over 40 years old and above, as well as free clinical breast examinations.
Free mammograms for women over 40 years old and above and free clinical breast examinations are available on :
- 16 October - Dubai Frame
- 23 October - Raw Coffee, Dubai
Free mammograms for women aged 40 and above on:
- 7 October - Sharjah Ladies Club
- 8 October - City Centre Mirdif, Dubai
- 19 October - University of Sharjah
- 27 October - Al Majaz Waterfront, Sharjah
- 28 October - Museum of the Future, Dubai
- 29 October - Mega Mall, Sharjah
- 30 October - We Conquer event at Dubai Digital Park
Free clinical breast examinations on:
- 8 October - Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi
- 15 October - La Mer, Dubai
- 16 October - Mamzar Park, Dubai
- 18 October - Umm Al Emarat Park, Abu Dhabi
Allied Medical Center
Throughout the month of October, Allied Medical Center is offering women a 50% discount on breast consultations and screening mammograms to help beat breast cancer. A free breast cancer self-assessment shower card and breast cancer awareness booklet will also be handed out to encourage awareness and focus on the importance of getting checked.
King's College Hospital London Dubai, Dubai Hills
A wide range of activations will be held at King's College Hospital London Dubai this October.
- Wall of Hope: A board called the Wall of Hope is available in the main lobby of the hospital where the public can leave messages of hope throughout the month. The board will then be moved to the Oncology department for all to see at the end of the month.
- Offer on Mammogram: Get a discount on a mammogram in October, priced at Dhs 350. Call 04-2477777 for more information to avail of the special offer.
- Awareness Event: On 14 October from 12pm to 3pm, an awareness event by Dr Rita Sakr, Consultant Breast Oncoplastic Surgeon and Ob-Gynecologist, and Dr Hassan Ghazal, Triple Board Certified Consultant Medical Oncologist and Consultant Clinical Hematologist will be held. The talk will focus on breast cancer as well as the importance of breast health.
Mediclinic City Hospital
Mediclinic will be hosting awareness talks as well as complimentary screenings this October.
Awareness Talks: Multiple talks will be held, shedding light on breast cancer, and raising awareness amongst people.
- 'Awareness is Power' - The theme for the first week is 'Awareness is Power' which will be held on 3 October, 5 October and 7 October from 11am to 12pm.
- 'Early Detection Saves Lives' - Running for the second week on 10 October, 12 October and 14 October from 11am to 12pm, the second week will focus on the theme 'Early Detection Saves Lives'.
- 'Breast Health and Wellness' - From 11am to 12pm on 17 October, 19 October and 21 October, the third week's talk will revolve around the theme 'Breast Health and Wellness'.
Screening Offer: Women aged 40 years old and above that have no family history or symptoms or have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months will be able to avail of an offer to get a 50% discount on mammograms as well as a complimentary consultation with a breast surgeon. The offer is only applicable to self-paying patients.
Dubai London Clinics and Hospitals
As part of breast cancer awareness month this October, Dubai London Clinics and Hospitals are hosting screenings for early detection of breast cancer. Complimentary clinical examinations will be available during the month as well as complimentary mammograms or breast ultrasounds for women that require further investigations, based on the consultation of doctors.