Pope Francis’ historic three day visit to the UAE is over and what a monumental visit it was. With so much happening, here is a quick recap of the overwhelming events that took place over the past three days, which according to the Pope’s farewell speech “will go down the history’.
1. Pope Francis arrived in the UAE at 10.30pm and was received by His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
2. His Highness Mohamed bin Zayed along with His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE, and the ruler of Dubai receive the Pope with an official reception ceremony at the Presidential Palace in Abu Dhabi.
3. Pope Francis attends a meeting with the Muslim Council of Elders at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi. Image - The National / Reuters
4. The Pope and Imam sign historic Abu Dhabi Declaration, a document on Human Fraternity in the United Arab Emirates.
5. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid honours Pope Francis and Dr Ahmad Al Tayyeb with the Human Fraternity Award for their efforts in promoting world peace.
6. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid and His Highness Mohamed bin Zayed sign the foundation stone for construction of a new ‘Church of Saint Francis’ and ‘Mosque of Grand Imam Ahmad Al-Tayyeb’ in Abu Dhabi.
7. Pope Francis arrives at St. Joseph’s Cathedral ahead of the Papal Mass.
8. Pope Francis delivers historic Mass in Abu Dhabi.
• Over 135,000 faithful gathered at Zayed Sports City Stadium in Abu Dhabi to attend the Papal Mass , and to share love and one prayer.
• Pope Francis was driven around the stadium to the delighted crowd.
• A five-year old is one of the few to be personally blesses by the Pope.
During the celebration, Pope Francis spoke of God’s love “A joy that no one in this world under no circumstance can take away from us. It’s a joy that gives us peace amongst pain,” he said.
Overjoyed audience as the mass ended share their experience.
His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed saw off the Pope at the Presidential airport.