As a child, impressing your mother is something everyone wants to do, and despite our best efforts, it can seem wasteful in comparison to their all hard work and effort mums do for us.
This year for Mother's Day, start early and treat your mother to a special breakfast, and rather than going out, make her feel loved from the comfort of your home.
Food can speak volumes in showing a person how much you care and to make cooking her a meal easier, this simple but delicious avocado toast is sure to start her special day off perfectly.
Chef Zeineb Ben Salma, Head Chef at Forever Rose Cafe has shared her delicious recipe so you can make it too.
¼ teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
? teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
10 grams baby spinach
2 eggs, for poaching
2 slices of bread (either sourdough, wheat, or brown bread with cereal)
2 teaspoon hollandaise sauce (optional)
Edible flower for decoration (optional)
- Toast the bread in a toaster until golden and crispy.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado with the back of a fork and then add the lemon juice and salt.
- Fill a deep skillet halfway with water.
- Bring the water to a simmer, adding the vinegar.
- Gently break each egg separately into a small bowl and slowly add each egg, one at a time, into the simmering water allowing it to cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off and place a lid on the skillet and let the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 minutes.
- Take the toast, spread the mashed avocado on top and then the baby spinach. Finish with the poached egg.
- Serve or add hollandaise sauce with edible flowers for a decorative touch.
Chef Zeineb Ben Salma, Head Chef at Forever Rose Cafe
Forever Rose Cafe