Etihad Museum scooped top honours and took home the coveted ‘Best New Museum in the Middle East and Africa’ award.
The museum also placed first runner-up in the ‘Best Museum Architecture of the Year’ category at The Leading Culture Destinations Awards 2017 in London.
For all of you who don’t know, this museum was inaugurated on 7 January 2017 and is located at the start of Jumeirah 1, near the flagpole.
Giving residents and expats a deeper look into the UAE’s rich heritage and past, the museum chronicles the era before the country’s founding, the agreement signing and subsequent declaration of the Union in 1971.
The museum also provides insight and understanding of the UAE constitution and the rights and responsibilities of Emirati citizens.
The museum is located on the same historical site of the Union House, the very place where the constitution of the UAE was signed in 1971 to establish its independence, marking the first federation of the Arab world.
In fact, the building design was inspired by the shape of a manuscript with seven columns to symbolise the pens used to sign the union agreement.
Divided in various sections, discover the contemporary history of the UAE at Dubai’s latest cultural offering:
- The Founding Fathers: Images of the Founders, their belongings and an interactive screen communicating historical information about them.
- The interactive Timeline: Displays the story of the Union in addition to films of great significance, highlighting major events and the most influential personalities.
- El Ghars: A visual showcase in 3D Hologram screen of the famous meeting between Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan with his brother, Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum at Sayh Al-Sadira, narrated in the voice of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
- The Unity of the UAE: View the challenges faced by the Union, before unification in 1971.
- The Union Accomplishment: Learn about the developments that contributed to the birth of the new nation and prominence of nation’s efforts right after the Union.
Tickets cost: Adult Dhs 25 and Student Dhs 10
Opening timings: Daily, 10am-8pm