Children may experience a variety of skin issues; diaper rashes, dry skin, eczemas and sunburns as their skin is more sensitive. Tips for optimal care are as follows:
- Ensure bath / shower time is short as water can be harsh for skin and can stimulate dryness / eczema.
- Ensure water is warm, never hot.
- Avoid soap when possible, and use only creamy, non-scented hypoallergenic ones.
- Avoid using sponges or scrubs.
- Ensure long baths are taken maximum once a week and add bath oil to reduce the harshness of the water on the skin.
- Moisturize after baths / showers; when the skin is in need of a barrier replacement to prevent or reduce atopic eczema.
- Choose hypoallergenic fragrance free moisturizers.
- Use sun protection from an early age to prevent skin cancers.
- Avoid using sunscreens in newborns below 6 months of age; avoid major sun exposure for them and keep them under the shade.
- Use sunscreens that are physical or mineral rather than chemical, so look for the ones containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.
- Use SPF that is at least 30 and the PPD at least 12 or +++.
- Reapply sunscreen every 2-3 hours regardless of the label stating that it stays on for several hours; that's only true if the child stays still!
- Look for well-known brands and FDA approved products. There are many products in the market stating that they are natural or organic but they are from unregulated sources and therefore unreliable.
- Use petroleum jelly (contained in Vaseline and other ointments); it is a great moisturizer, serves as a great barrier for the skin, and ideal for nappy rashes.
- Avoid using make up or nail polish on your children. If you decide to do so, choose regulated products specifically made for children and ones that come off easily with water.
- Use a humidifier in the room to add moisture in the air.
- Visit your dermatologist for regular check-ups for yours and your children’s skin; prevention is always better than treatment!
To book an appointment call 800-HBPC (4272) or for more information stay tuned with our updates on our Instagram @healthbaypolyclinic or our Facebook www.facebook.com/healthbay
Dr. Suzana Roncaglia
HealthBay Al Wasl Branch
Address: HealthBay Polyclinic, Al Wasl Road, Dubai
Telephone No: 800 HBPC (4272)