It’s no secret that having a beautiful smile can do wonders for our confidence and self-esteem. With recent advances in aesthetic dentistry, more people are opting for cosmetic dentistry to improve their smiles. It is important to note that having healthy teeth overall takes a lifetime of care and we must not neglect the basics of oral care.
- Brush before bed: Brushing twice per day is recommended but brushing before bed gets rid of the germs and plaque that accumulate throughout the day. No matter at what hour you decide to sleep, create a habit of brushing your teeth before you do so.
- Brush properly: Failing to brush your teeth properly can almost be as bad as not brushing them at all. Gentle circular or vertical motions with a soft bristled brush will remove unwanted plaque. Excessive heavy-handed brushing can cause tooth wear and gum recession.
- Use fluoride toothpaste: Fluoride is a main defense against tooth decay. It works by fighting germs that can lead to decay, as well as providing a protective barrier for your teeth.
- Flossing: Flossing once a day is usually enough to reap the benefits of healthy gums.
- Mouth rinse: A good mouth rinse can be a useful aid in maintaining good oral health. It reduces the amount of acid in the mouth, cleans hard-to-brush areas in and around the gums, and re-mineralizes the teeth. Ask your dentist for a recommended brand of mouth rinse.
- Drink more water: After a meal drinking water can help wash out some of the negative effects of sticky and acidic foods and beverages in between brushes.
- Limit sugar intake and the consumption of acidic foods: Sugar converts into acid in the mouth, which can then erode the enamel of your teeth. These acids are what lead to cavities. Acidic foods can erode the surface of your teeth, so be mindful to limit these from your diet.
- Regular dental visits: At minimum, you should see your dentist for cleanings and checkups twice a year. Not only can a dentist remove calculus and look for cavities, but they will also be able to spot potential issues and offer treatment solutions.
Call 800-HBPC(4272) to book your appointment now!
Dr. Evan O’ Malley
HealthBay Al Wasl (Day Surgery Center LLC)
Address: HealthBay Polyclinic, Al Wasl Road, Dubai
Telephone No: 800 HBPC (4272)