Believe it not, our morning fuel, the hearty cup of freshly brewed coffee most of us enjoy to start off our day, has it's very own dedicated day, celebrated globally to show appreciation for all the goodness it brings along. So Happy International Coffee Day to you all!
As you take a sip from your first cup of coffee in the morning, we wonder if you have ever realised that these magical beans have a long history and some really fascinating facts attached to them, which may either amaze you or will bring a cute smile to your face.
There could not be a better day to reveal these amazing lesser known facts about coffee:
- The world's most expensive coffee is called kopi luwak and is priced at more than Dhs 2,200 a pound and comes from the feaces of an Asian palm civet. The cat-like creature eats fruit including coffee cherries, but is unable to digest the beans.
- How many cups of coffee do you drink a day? You can overdose on coffee, but if only you drink 30 cups in a very short space of time.
- Finland is home to the biggest coffee lovers. The average adult Finn consumes 27.5 pounds of coffee each year, far higher than the average consumption globally of 11.5 pounds.
- Want to live longer? Keep drinking your coffee. Research says about three to four cups per day reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and Parkinson’s,
- How big is your coffee mug? We are sure it’s not bigger than the Guiness World Record holder which is a 9-foot tall cup filled with 3,487 gallons of coffee.
Fancy a cup? Here is a round-up of local cafes giving out free coffees on International Coffee Day
Chic French bistro, Parlour Boutique, at One Central Building in the Trade Centre area is offering guests a free specially brewed coffee with every purchase of a main course all day.
Call 04 386 5333
Grounded at Downtown Hotel
Joining in with the global celebration of coffee, Grounded is brewing up free espressos on Tuesday, 1 October for International Coffee Day. From 10am to 7pm, the roasters, located in the Renaissance Downtown Hotel Dubai will give everyone and anyone a free single espresso with no purchase necessary.
Counter Culture Cafe, Dubai Marriott Harbour Hotel And Suites
On International Coffee Day on 1 October, if you find yourself in the Marina, head to the Culture Counter Cafe to grab a cup of coffee on the house. The offer is valid from 11am to 11pm.
Tim Hortons Cafe and Bake Shop
The popular coffee shop is giving away free small brewed coffee to all its guests all day across all its stores in Dubai to celebrate International Coffee Day.
Are you a real coffee connoisseur? Coffee lovers are really spoilt for choice in Dubai with a lots of different coffee shops to enjoy, lots of different varieties of hot and cold coffees and for those who enjoy a coffee at home, the shops are full of machines that make all these different types for you. One machine that really stands out and is perfect for wannabe barristas and for discerning coffee addicts, is this Delonghi fully automatic coffee machine which brews an exceptional latte, espresso or cappuccino, or in fact any coffee of your choice. Available from Jashanmal Home and Travel, priced at Dhs 11,999.