Food for thought

Chocolate, grapes, avocado - all these foods sound pretty good to us but are quite dangerous for our pets. Most of us cannot resist those big brown eyes staring at us at the kitchen table and we end up given a little chicken, a little pancake, a little of whatever it is we have on our plate. So can a little reward from your plate really hurt your pet? Here are some foods your dog or cat can eat and some he should never try - some foods might really surprise you. Check out the list recommended by Advanced Pet Care Clinic.

APCC approved human foods for your pet:
1. Eggs: Are a great source of digestible protein, riboflavin and selenium.
2. Yoghurt: An ideal treat for dogs with digestion problems. But make sure it is all natural with no added sugar.
3. Oatmeal: Great source of soluble fibre. But only cooked and with no added sugar.
4. Salmon: Great source of omega 3-fatty acids. These fats support the immune system and can be beneficial for the health of your dog's coat.
5. Carrots: Low calories and high in fibre and vitamins. Given raw it is great for their teeth.

Foods APCC suggests your pet never tries:
1. Chocolate: If ingested in even small amounts, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, irregular heartbeat, seizures and even death.
2. Peanut butter: Can cause allergic reactions.
3. Grapes and raisins: Toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
4. Onions: Cause damage to your dog's red blood cells leading to anaemia.
5. Coffee or tea: Caffeine in large enough quantities can be fatal for a dog.

These are signs your pet ate something he shouldn't:
• vomiting (usually starts as food and proceeds to water) or gagging
• painful abdomen
• diarrhoea or constipation
• lack of appetite
• lethargy
• changes in typical behaviour

With thanks to Advanced Pet Care Clinic Call 056-3960076 for appointments.

Share this page!
COMMENTS
FEATURED