Soul food is a way into a person's heart and this Valentine's Day, with restrictions in in place, some people are choosing not to go out, but to stay in a cook a romantic meal.
Shakshouka is an easy recipe that you can cook for your loved one that will surely make the day of celebrating love even more special.
Chef Zeineb Ben Salma, Head Chef at Forever Rose Cafe has shared his delicious Shakshouka recipe that is sure to be a success.
This recipe serves 6 people and only takes 50 minutes to cook.
1 red bell pepper with seeds
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 can of whole peeled tomatoes
6 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1 small bunch fresh parsley
- Dice onion and red bell pepper into cubes.
- Roughly chop the garlic cloves, cilantro and parsley.
- Heat the olive oil in large sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add chopped bell pepper and onion to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, until the onion becomes slightly brown.
- Add the garlic, spices and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour the can of tomatoes into the pan and crush using a large spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Use a large spoon to create small wells in the sauce.
- Crack eggs into the wells.
- Cover with a pan and cook for 5 - 8 minutes.
- Garnish with feta cheese, labneh and micro herbs and enjoy.
Chef Zeineb Ben Salma, Head Chef at Forever Rose Cafe
Forever Rose Cafe